As we all know, May 19 marks the 186th anniversary of the day President John Quincy Adams (like John Adams, but Quincyer) signed the Tariff of 1828 into law, much to the chagrin of South Carolina’s John C. “Crazy Eyes” Calhoun, who labelled it the “Tariff of Abominations.” He had a way with words, that guy.
So whether you are for or against protective tariffs, come on down to The Book Cellar at 7pm on Monday, May 19th, and join hosts Karen Shimmin and Willy Nast, for an evening of essays in support of 826CHI, along with these tariff-ic readers:
- Story Club Founder Dana Norris
- Professional Coupon Writer Nathalie Lagerfeld
- Bathtub Philosopher Jamie Black
- You’re Being Ridiculous Host Jeremy Owens
- Story Sessions Producer Jill Howe