There are plenty of opportunities to indulge your sweet tooth in October. Sweetest Day, the dumbest pseudo-holiday that ever was, takes place on October 17th. On October 18th, you can take a bite out of the much-less-stupid National Chocolate Cupcake Day. Two days later, October 20th, is National Brandied Fruit Day, which involves real fruit so at least you won’t get scurvy. And of course, October closes with Halloween, the holiest of all sweet holidays. (Worry not! You’ll be sure to get your diet back on-track during the upcoming Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hanukkah/New Year’s season.)
None of those days, however, will be sweeter than Monday, October 19th. Come on down to The Book Cellar at 7pm and join hosts Karen Shimmin and Willy Nast for an Essay Fiesta lineup that will give you all the sugar rush of a Kit-Kat and M&Ms Chocolate Cake without the crash or regrets (just don’t forget to brush before bed):
- PleasureTown Co-Creator (and, ahem, Essay Fiesta Godfather) Keith Ecker
- That’s All She Wrote Co-Host JH Palmer
- Miss Spoken Co-Host Rose Lannin
- McSweeney’s/Awl/Morning News/Hairpin Contributor Mae Rice
- There’s A Hamster In The Dashboard Author David Berner
As always, the show is free, but we’ll be collecting super-sweet cash donations for the superest-sweetest folks at 826CHI.